On-the-go tactics to make the most of your precious minutes.
There will be days when life doesn’t go according to plan. Instead of letting those days derail your running, claim a small chunk of time for yourself by trying one of these 20-minute sanity savers.
1. Break up your run. Overloaded with choresor responsibilities? Go for a 20-minute run, spend 30 to 90 minutes doing chores or other errands, then head out for another 20 minutes. Do up to three runs this way and you get your longer run in.
2. Up the effort. Hill repeats and speedwork are quick stamina-builders. Warm up for 10 minutes and repeat one of these segments for 15 minutes: Ascend a hill that’s 200 meters long, jog down; or run 400 meters at 5-K race pace, jog for a minute or two.
3. Lace up anyway. Even though you’re already busy, hitting the road for a 20-minute run is better than nothing. A quick run keeps your muscles accustomed to the act of running, and after just five to 10 minutes, you start tapping into stored fat.
5. Take a nap. Research shows that short naps decrease fatigue and improve alertness and cognitive performance. You need only 10 minutes of shut-eye to reap the benefits. In fact, sleeping for 10 minutes is superior to taking a 20- or 30-minute snooze because you’re less likely to be groggy or confused upon waking.
6. Stretch it out and do a little core while you are at it. don’t forget your legs swings. You will recover quicker and be ready for your next hurried run if you do.